Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Creative Writing Contest Inspired by 'Summer Fun in Copperopolis'

Mrs. Young’s third grade class at Copperopolis Elementary School recently participated in a writing contest hosted by Once Upon a Time on the Square and the Copper Gazette, promoting creative writing.

The only guidelines given to the eager 8 and 9 year-old children were to write one paragraph minimum with the subject being “Summer fun in Copper.” Imagination and creativity were considered a must for this contest.

Billie B. Kane, owner of Once Upon a Time on the Square was selected to judge the creative submissions and generously offered to provide the winner with a $10.00 gift certificate to her wonderful mercantile store. After careful consideration Billie was able to choose three top entries saying it was “really not an easy choice, these young people sound amazing.”

First Place went to Jesse for ‘Getting Really Wet in Copper’
This summer there are some amazing things I can do during the swetty months.    The first thing I would do in the Summer is I would get alot of water and go up into space and make a GIGANTIC water balloon.   I would push to DROP button and the balloon would fall over the whole town and we would make the national news for being the coolest town.    Next,  I would go swimming in Lake Tulloch.   Then, meators would crash in and make a huge tidal wave and cover the branches with water.   Water gun fights are on the list and I would win with a big water soaker.  Last, we would go in the pool and relax.   There's alot to do in the SUMMER TIME in Copper.
Jesse won a $10.00 Gift Certificate to Once Upon a Time on the Square

Billie B. Kane and Jesse



Second Place went to Pearl for ‘My Adventures in Summer’
Summer is one of my favorite seasons because it is always warm and the lake is always a cool temperature.  First,we celabrate Levi's birthday June,6.    Then, we celabrate my birthday June,14.   On our birthdays, it is so fun because we get to see family we barely get to see.   It's cool!   Second , we go to my grandma's house.  We bring our pontun boat and bathing suits and play around in the lake. Third,we would drive around and visit all the events going on around town.    Summer is a season of great fun.   i love summer!

Pearl won $5.00 in Cruiser's Bucks


Third Place went to Eden for ‘Kid's Camp SUMMER FUN in Copper’
During the Summer, there are lots of exciting things I love to do.  First I love to go to Kid's Camp at Black Creek Park.   We do arts and crafts and play games with our friends.  Next,  I also like to go on hikes and play soccer with all the other kids.  On the last day of Kid's Camp the counsellors and the kids have a giant water fight.   That is just some of the reasons why I love to go to Kid's Camp during the hot Summer months in Copper.
Eden won a fruit smoothie at Snaps Coffee House


Please enjoy all the creative writing entries below:

My Amazing Summer      by Emma
Here are some fun things to do in the Summer in Copperopolis.  First, people go to the Kiva Lake.   This is where you can go swimming, hang out with friends and a funch of other stuff.  Then kids can have friends over and have water balloon fights and sleepovers.  Last, parents and children can go to Old Town in Copper.   They can go visit the Art Gallary and go to all the events there.   That's just some of of fun things you can do in Copper.

My Summer in Copper    by name withheld
There are many things you can do in Copperopolis for Summer FUN.  First, I believe that when I grow up I will still live in Copper and loving the Summer.  I want to be a Marinebiologist and study the life forms in my own submarine in the Kiva.   I will  also have a wonderful boat.  When I am done with exploring the Kiva, I am going to search the lake for another Loch Ness Monster.  I believe I will find it.  I think the Lake Tulloch Loch Ness Monster will have formed from a sea turtle that grows a very long neck.   These are just some Summer things to do in Copper.  I can only imagine the fun I can have ON LAND!

Fun in Copper    by Devin
In Copper,  I would do lots of fun things.   I would go to my friend's house and play a game called Marshmellowinators.   It's call that because we caught mashmellows on fire.   YOu chase each other with very hot marshmellows and put out the fire.    I would, also, go bicycle riding with my Dad and brother to fun places like the park.   When we go fishing I would catch the biggest fish..... a 10 pounder.   That is the fun, I will have in Copper during the SUMMER.

Soccer Fun    by Jackson
During the Summer, soccer starts in Copperopolis.  After a day of practice, you get your T-shirts,  shorts and socks and name your team.   Our Team was the Mighty Green Dragons.    At a soccer game, one team starts with the ball.  When the shistle blows the games starts.  After the game, we will line up and give the other team a high five and treats.      That's why I like SUMMER SOCCER in Copper.


Copper Fun with my Family      by McKenzie
This Summer in Copperopolis is going to be the BEST!    First,  my family and I are going camping and hiking and we are going to have alot of fun.   We are going to set up our tent and then  hike over the big mountain.   When we get back from the wonderful hike we will cook hot dogs and roast marshmellows.   Then, we will go to sleep.   It will be the best Summer in Copperopolis.

SUMMER FUN in COPPER    by Derek
I can have alot of fun in SUMMER in Copperopolis.  First,  I could go camping in my treehouse with a friend.  With my friend, I would also play the Game of LIFE.   Second,  I could play a baseball game with my friends in our arena.   When we are done with the game,  we can have lunch.   Then, we can have a SWIM PARTY at our pool with friends and family.   This is what I could do in the Summer in Copperopolis.

FUN in Copperpolis    by  John
In the Summer, i can have a water balloun fight with my friends.   I want to have a paintball fight, too.  In the Summertime, i want to go play ice hockey.   I love the Summers in Copper, but, it is time to go back to school.


Water Riding on Lake Tulloch      by  Treysen
Lake Tulloch is a great place to swim in the summer.   I want to put a life jacket on a bike and ride it across the lake.  I want to ride from Poker Flat to the Kiva.   First, I will need to put two life jackets on a bike.   I will put the bike in the water and it will float.   When I pedal it, it will move.  I will have to swim with it to move faster.   After the exciting BIKE RIDE on the water, I would go fishing for bass, trout, and catfish.   We would fish for bass in the day and catfish at night.   That is just some of the great SUMMER fun in Copper.

Summer Fun in Copperopolis     by  Porscha
There are alot of things to do during the Summer FUN months in Copper.   First,  I like to go to the Summer Camp at Black Creek Park.   On Mondays, we play Duck Duck Goose.   On Tuesdays, we go on a hike and play The Guessing Game.  On Fridays, we had a water day and after we had an animal show.   These are fun things we did at Summer Camp.

COPPER  FUN   by  Darin
I'm going to swim in the hot sun.   I'm going to go to the pool and go swimming.   I'm going to do front flips into the pool.   I'm going to do tricks under water and drop a water toy under the water,then catch it.  I will get my tawol and go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment