Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Kindness Hero Essay winner Monique Arteaga

Monique Arteaga is a 6 year old Kindergartner in Ms. Vail's class. Her favorite part of the day in school is playing, yet she says she enjoys math. "It's fun! We are already measuring things and we learned shapes."
She said she wrote her kindness essay about her mom and her dad and is really nervous about reading it out loud.

Relatively new to Copperopolis Monique said she "loves it up here" that she gets to ride her bike a lot "even though I fall off."



Please click read more to read Monique's essay.


My Kindeness Hero
My kindness hero is Bobby and Christina. They are my cousins who took me in their home and gave me someone to call mommy and daddy. My mom and dad take care of me. I didn't have food and now I do, also they gave me clothes. My mom and dad loves me. They taught me who Jesus was and how to respect others. My mom and dad gave me something I never had. I have a person to call daddy and a mom to take care of me. Thats my kindness heroes.




Background on kindnes hero essays:
Each year, for the past 20 years, students at Copperopolis Elementary and Mark Twain Elementary have been participating in a Kindness Hero Essay Contest during Kindness Week.

The students from grade K through 8 each compose an essay featuring their kindness hero and explaining why they chose that person. A kindness hero can be a family member, friend, teacher, etc. Teachers then choose only one essay from the whole class and submit them to a review board for further judging. When the judging is complete the children with the 'winning' essays will then participate in an open reading night at the Angels Camp City Council meeting, where they wil read their essays. They will also head over to Foothill Village to make a presentation to the Seniors in residence. A representative from Foothill Village said that the residents are so looking forward to the reading day. While it is an essay contest, each child is a winner as they learn not only how to compose an essay but they also  learn that kindness, a seemingly simple act, can touch someone so deeply it can leave a lasting impression.

Please check in each day this week as the Copper Gazette will highlight daily a different kindness hero essay winner from Copperopolis Elementary...their stories will touch your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment