Thursday, September 22, 2011

Spellman response to David Tunno

On 9-21-11 the Copper Gazette wrote Supervisor Spellman
Dear Darren,
This evening Mr David Tunno announced that he would run for the District 5 Supervisor seat if the recall efforts against you were successful.
Do you have any comment?

On 9-21-11 Darren Spellman responded:
I shouldn't be surprised, but I am disheartened.
David Tunno is an intelligent person and I have known for some time that he harbored ambitions to run for office and I suspected he might run against me in the next election.
Because David is admittedly smarter than I am and well versed in the legal profession I know he finds my "guy next door" mentality to be annoying and beneath public office, but considering his perspective is based on the far away world of Los Angeles where he moved to this county from only 2 short years ago, I can see why he thinks the way he does. Things are much different in Los Angeles than they are in Calaveras County.
I grew up in a small rural farming town in San Joaquin County and live in a rural town today. My small town habits of "calling 'em like I see them" and admittedly being less than polite to politicians that are fleecing my friends and neighbors may not be gentrified or polished like the Lawyers he is used to working with, but we live in a small rural county and people are not so concerned as much with their elected representatives being polished as much as they are concerned about them being down to Earth and honest.

My election was not about me being more professional, heck Russ had a list of accolades and accomplishments as long as my leg. The people voted for me because I am honest, not polished, because I am a Christian family man with children and a wife of 18 years, who understands the average person who enters the voting booth, because I made a pledge to our first responders and our community that safety would come first and in this year's final budget I kept my promise by casting the third vote to pass the Sheriff's requests for Deputies on a 3/2 split board decision to put more deputies back on the streets.
I have only been in office 8 months, but in that time I have had a hand in helping the Library find a way to become financially solvent with the efforts of the wonderful Copper friends of the library, including a request for county funding to allow them to stay in their current location until the local fund raising plan fully develops, which they did and the county just signed a new 12 month lease with Dr. French. I held my regular meetings with community members at the coffee shop as promised, held a springtime "Town Hall" as promised, pushed for an extensive repair of Reed's Turnpike which happened, Main street was resurfaced, O'Byrnes Ferry bridge has been fixed and other work is in the pipeline to be completed soon.
If perhaps I had done something horribly wrong, like the disgusting things you see some politicians in Washington D.C. doing then I think there would be cause, but this whole process and small group of angry, opportunistic, self centered people stirring up hate before I can even get a few months under my belt to do some good things for our community is just very disheartening to say the least. I haven't seen or heard much real support for the recall, so I am left to assume people know I am doing a good job and looking out for our community and while I may be a little "Small Town" and lack elegance in my speech at times, I am a typical Calaveras resident. This is not Los Angeles and I don't believe that anyone but a few perhaps, in our community, would ever want it to be.
On Wednesday October 19th, at the Copper Fire House, I will be passing the torch of leadership for the Copper Community to your new supervisor Tom Tryon, as required by law due to the 2010 census report. While Supervisor Tryon will be your new "official" Supervisor, I will always be your "Unofficial" Supervisor, having a knowledge of your unique challenges and triumphs and will always be no more than a phone call or e-mail away if I am needed and of course will always cast my vote in board matters in such a way that protects what is important to the Copper Community. So, it's almost like you have it better than the rest of the county in that you have two supervisors looking out for you where everyone else only has one.
Much love and thanks for all those who continue to support and strengthen me when I need it as your elected representative. May God bless you for your service and acts of kindness towards me and your good deeds in our community.
Sincerely,  Darren Spellman

Darren Spellman
Calaveras County Supervisor
"In relentless pursuit of real results based on common sense."
Voice message 209.786.4585
calaveraswest.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment