Thursday, September 25, 2014

Interview with 4th Congressional District candidate Congressman Tom McClintock

Why are you running? 
To restore those uniquely American principles of individual liberty, constitutionally limited government and personal responsibility that built the most prosperous republic in the history of the world.

What do you believe are your qualifications for this office? 
People know where I stand and can trust that I will stand firm.  The National Taxpayers Union has rated me the best vote for taxpayers in the House of Representatives two years running.

What is your top priority currently? 
Restoring the economy by reducing the burdens that excessive government taxation and regulations have placed on it.




Tell me your position and why, on water rights. 
I serve as Chairman of the House Sub-Committee on Water and Power.  In that position, I have shepherded legislation through the House to protect our local water rights and expedite new reservoir construction to create a reliable and abundant supply of water for our communities.

Tell me your position and why, on the Affordable Care Act. 
Obamacare is NOT affordable – it has cost millions of Americans the health plans and doctors they liked and it has caused massive premium increases for families.  I have vigorously opposed it from the outset.

Tell me your position and why, on military support in Iraq. 
I believe the 2003 invasion of Iraq was a terrible mistake that has destabilized the region.  I strongly opposed arming Syrian rebels, who are just as likely to turn those arms upon us.  I believe that we should apply American air power against the Islamic State in tactical support of those actively engaged against it and take out the oil fields they are using to finance themselves.  The most important thing we can do for our own security is to secure our wide-open southern border, enforce time limits on visas and change the law to revoke passports of any Americans who take up arms for the IS.

Tell me your position and why, on military support in the Ukraine. 
Months ago, Ukraine begged us for radar-jamming equipment that could have prevented the attack on the Malaysian passenger jet – instead we sent them cheeseburgers.  We should still act as the arsenal of Democracy without becoming entangled in another war and in the case of Ukraine, we should provide them the equipment they have requested, including the lethal aid needed to deter Russian aggression.

Tell me how you plan to create jobs. 
When Reagan took office, we faced double-digit unemployment.    He reduced the tax and regulatory burdens that were crushing the economy and produced one of the longest periods of economic expansion in history.  Clinton did the same thing after 1994 – reaching across the aisle and working with a Republican Congress, he reduced federal spending by 4 percent of GDP.  This administration is pursuing the opposite policies with the opposite result.

And finally, tell me how you will help the over 100,000 veterans in your district with services, representation and care.
Veterans shouldn’t be trapped on long waiting lists at the VA – that’s why I have pushed to provide VA-Choice cards to veterans so they can access the local provider of their choice.  My district office gives top priority to assisting veterans – and has successfully resolved over 1,000 veteran cases from our communities.

In closing, I would like to allow you to add up to a 300 word count statement so that you may touch on issues I have not put forth.
My work to provide jobs has earned me the endorsement of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Federation of Independent Businesses.  The Club for Growth and the Competitive Enterprise Institute have consistently honored me as one of the best votes for jobs in Congress.

My work to reduce the burdens that government has placed on families and to balance the budget has earned me the endorsement of the National Taxpayers Union, the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association, Citizens Against Government Waste and FreedomWorks.  The National Taxpayers Union rated me the best vote for taxpayers in the House in 2013 and 2014.

My work to restore constitutional principles has earned me the endorsement of the National Rifle Association, the National Right to Life Committee, Gun Owners of America, and Eagle Forum.

There are 535 members of the House and Senate – but only 163 bills have been signed into law this session.  One of them was mine – to restore surplus federal lands for economic development in this district.  My legislation to salvage timber lost to fires, to expedite construction of new water storage, and to protect the full faith and credit of the U.S. government have all passed the House – and still await action in the Senate.

The speeches I have given in Congress and the work I have done can be found on my website at mcclintock.house.gov.  You can join my campaign at TomMcClintock.com.