Monday, May 13, 2013

Megan Borzone - Letter To Potential Livestock Auction Buyers


My name is Megan Borzone. I am a 16 year old sophomore at Bret Harte High School and am an active member of both the Bret Harte FFA chapter and the Copper Hills 4-H Club, where I am currently serving as President.  My hobbies include leadership, community service, training my dog and showing my horse.  This year, I am also showing a 4-H market lamb at the Calaveras County Fair for the first time.  I hope you will consider purchasing my lamb.


I have spent a lot of time with my Hampshire lamb, Piggy, getting her ready for fair. I spend about 45-60 minutes exercising her each day by jumping her over hurdles, walking, and running.  This entire experience has taught me about proper conformation, animal nutrition, responsibility, financial accountability….and that it’s not easy getting up at 5:30 AM every morning to exercise with my lamb!

During the fair, my lamb will be judged based on her conformation and market readiness, and I will have the opportunity to participate in a showmanship class where I will be able to exhibit what I’ve learned about presenting my lamb to the judge.  Both of these competitions will take place on Thursday, May 16 at the Calaveras County Fairgrounds. You are welcome to attend either or both events to watch us in action!
I would like to formally invite you to the bid on my lamb at the Livestock Auction on Sunday, May 19 at 9:00 AM.  There is also a buyer’s breakfast at 7:30 a.m. that Sunday. The monies that I earn from the sale of my market lamb will go towards next year’s animal project and my college fund. A portion of your purchase will be tax deductible.  I hope you will come out and support me, along with my fellow 4-H members. 
If you pre-register as a buyer, you will get a breakfast meal ticket and free admission and parking.
Your time and attention is greatly appreciated. I hope to see you on the 19th!