Friday, May 17, 2013

To Dine or Not to Dine...

This weeks restaurant - The House of Beef in Oakdale

While some of us head up the hill for our weekly shopping spree, many of us head down the hill into the 'Cowboy Capitol of the World'....Oakdale.

Full of country charm and lots of shopping venues, Oakdale has more than enough to offer us foothill folks out on the town for a day. In fact I'm thinking it may take more than a few days to sufficiently scour this town for good eats.

On this day though I was traveling with my 15 year son, you know the age- the hollow leg age - when I ventured upon the House of Beef, corner of Yosemite and 3rd Avenue. (Just so happens I have a meat locker there too, mighty convenient).

'Come on in and sit down a spell' is the sense you get upon entering this establishment. Dated pictures from the turn of the century and farm implements large and small adorn every section of each wall.



The menu was not really a surprise as it bespoke of the restaurants name....beef, beef and more beef. Perfect for a growing young man! If you are not a beef lover no need to be put off by the main items on the menu as they also have fresh soups and a salad bar with more toppings than I could possibly use. The menu also offers a nice selection of appetizers to whet your appetite. Unfortunately I ordered appetizers and was full before my main course arrived. Appetizer servings are not lacking in size or taste.

I did however have to at least try a bite of my tri tip sandwich....heaven! Sheer deliciousness wrapped in fresh bread. I would drive to Oakdale just for this sandwich!

My little mack truck had a 1/2 pound hamburger. While many don't place much weight in a 15 year olds opinion he rarely tells me something is good - besides Micki's potato salad - so when he said with a muffle voice due to the burger in his mouth "this is real good" I know I have hit the motherlode.

Upon exiting the restaurant we noticed a craft store with yarn across the street....being ever so discreet little mack truck says "look mom, they have yarn, guess we will need to come down here again." That was a hint the size of the Hindenburg!

We will be back.

Service was cheerful and quick. Food was flavorful and more than could be consumed. Prices were reasonable and the setting was quaint. All in all a great dining experience. Perfect for the family or just stop in for a bite on an afternoon drive.

For more information of the House of Beef visit http://www.houseofbeef.net/

by,
Charity Maness

(My little disclaimer:  'To dine or not to dine' is meant to be a helpful - and humorous - informational piece only. I receive no monetary compensation for this column nor do I endorse any one eatery. This is simply my opinion. My tastes will be different from others and I readily admit that I have no culinary background, but I am fairly confident I know when food is cooked correctly or not, whether a drink is poured well or not and especially whether wait staff is first-rate or in need of a career change.)