Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ellie Stone - Town Hall Art Galerie Artist of the Month

Ellie Stone lives in Valley Springs and has taught several photography classes at Galerie Copper.  The following is a from a recent interview with the artist.
  • When people ask me, “How long have you been doing photography?", it makes me pause. Photography has been an interest of mine ever since I can remember.  I've owned every type of camera and also used whatever camera my Dad owned as well.  I snapped shots of my dog, horse, and whatever else interested me.  Looking back, it was my father's interest in photography, which sparked mine.
    My high school graduation gift was a nice Canon 35mm camera, a couple of lenses, and camera bag. Then my father was the catalyst for my first job, at what else--a photo lab! At the lab I not only processed the traditional C41 color film, but I also did darkroom work, and portraits. Since my employment at the lab spanned 12 years, I was witness to the digital age and its effects on the world of photography.

  • For a fair amount of years my photography took a back seat, simply because life got in the way. There were a few things that happened which rekindled my interest and passion for photography.   Suddenly I wanted to learn more and gain a better insight into this seemingly complicated Canon camera of mine.
  • Learning the solid basics for composition and exposure has really launched me into another realm.  Knowing the rules, when they work, when to break them, is an invaluable insight.  My skill set has grown tremendously, and I feel this has made me even look at the world differently.
  • My photographic interest is quite broad, as I enjoy everything from landscape to macro, weddings, portraits, photojournalism, and night photography. I’ve been published in Sacramento Magazine and Runners World.
Now, I look forward to teaching and inspiring others to learn more about what it takes to capture fantastic images. This year I will embark on that journey, and as I teach, surely my own knowledge will continue to grow.
Source Town Hall Art Galerie - Copperopolis Town Square

No comments:

Post a Comment