Friday, June 27, 2014

Winning Ways Advice Column by Marge Powers - 'Dealing with Change'



Dealing With Change

Dear Marge:

Lately I have been having difficulty dealing with changes in my life.  As soon as I think I know how things are going to work out, my ideas are so wrong and the situation changes abruptly.  Sometimes I feel like I don’t have a leg to stand on, so to speak.  How can you tell what’s right and not right when you’re trying to make solid decisions when things are constantly changing?  I need some answers and frankly I don’t know where to start or how to make any sense of all this confusion.  What do you think?
  Sue Reese

Dear Sue:

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I found out myself that had to learn the hard truth that change is inevitable. I eventually learned how to deal with the changes in my life and discover how my decisions impacted my mood and how it affected my life.  I eventually realized that it is possible to see change as an opportunity for growth, instead of desperately trying to outguess the future and figure out this crazy world. I learned from some of the following tips; how to empower myself, not worry so much, and stop and pick ways that worked for me where I felt I had some semblance of control.   Here are some tips to consider which can help you get through some of the changes and smooth out the bumps in your life. 
Good luck,  Marge



  1. Expand your horizons.  Use the change to learn something new.  Become computer literate, or learn to take great pictures with the camera that’s on the closet shelf, or try something that you’ve never done before.

  1. Use your support network.  When you’re feeling sad, confused, or overwhelmed, don’t hesitate to contact a friend, family member, clergy or therapist.  Choose someone who will listen to you in a safe, non-judgmental way.

3.      List the stable things in your life.  Where do you really have control?  What’s your daily routine?  Do you have coffee and read the newspaper before work?  Do you have favorite television shows?  Do you attend religious services?  Focus on the stability in your life.

  1. Write a grateful list.  Count your blessings.  Write a list of what you are most grateful for in your life.  Your relationships?  Your work?  Friends?  What you have accomplished? 

  1. Take your time.  As you know, life can change in an instant, but it always takes time to adjust to changes.  If you lose your job, don’t expect an immediate adjustment to your unemployed status.  If you are widowed or divorced, understand that it will take time to settle into a new routine as a single person.  Try not to take things too personally.

  1. Explore the opportunities in transition.  A door opens because another door has closed.  This may be the time to move, have a makeover, or open a home business.

  1. Grieve for what you are losing.  Give yourself permission to grieve for what you are losing no matter how trivial others may think it is.  This is something you must get through in a way that is meaningful to you so that you can move forward without regret.

  1. Watch your thoughts:  I usually stop, ask myself how I can control situations within my limitations, and I always come up with a choice that I feel comfortable with.  I feel it’s important to have a positive mindset…because I have found that what you think, manifests in your world.  (i.e.  if you want things to change, change your thinking).  Make sense?


Magic Morsel:  Nothing can enter and remain in your heart or your mind without your consent!


CONNECT WITH US.

eMail me your letters, inquiries; Let me know your opinions, let’s have your suggestions and ask your questions.  If you’re ready to feel good about yourself, then connect now!

Help is here:  Contact Marge “Magic” Powers for a free consultation at 209.785.2042 or   marge@discoverwinningways.com.  (Would you please call between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.)  

Note:  If I am with a client, I do not answer the phone, so please leave a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.  Thanks.  Marge ‘Magic’ Powers   J

Marge has written many books in how to improve your lifestyle, career plans, job search activities and/or retirement issues. These books may be reviewed or purchased on her website:  www.discoverwinningways.com.

WINNING WAYS is a Career and Life Coaching firm.  We help you bridge the gap between where you are and where you want to be so you can reclaim your power, build your confidence, commit to your destiny and keep your dignity.  Our mission:  A strong commitment to bringing about real practical changes with huge results in your life. 

Note:   I only work with people who can benefit most from my coaching; such as those who are in transition, open minded, interested in growing and viewing their world as an opportunity full of possibilities.  I enjoy working with people who are committed and motivated to ‘win’ and want to be satisfied in a life that actually works and fits who they are! 

Good thoughts and Best Wishes!



                 WINNING WAYS
Career and Master NLP Life Learning Advisor
                       209.785.2042
                                                      marge@discoverwinningways.com