Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Tim Healy - Calaveras County Superior Court Judge Dept 2 candidate interview



For which department is your candidacy?
            -Department two.
How long have you resided in Calaveras County?
            -I have lived in Calaveras for 11 years, my wife over 20.
What are your qualifications?
-I earned my undergraduate degree in History from Duke University in 1986 and my Law Degree from the University of the Pacific’s McGeorge School of Law in 2000.  I have been a Criminal Prosecutor and a member of the California State Bar Association for over 13 years.  I have prosecuted thousands of cases during my career having personally handled over 1000 cases as the only attorney assigned.  During 2013 there were approximately 1500 adult misdemeanor and felony cases heard in Calaveras Courts.  In only two years as a charging deputy for my office in San Joaquin County I reviewed over 10,000 police reports in order to determine whether charges should be filed.  I am the only candidate for Department 2 who has this experience.  It will take years for a Judge sitting in Calaveras who does not have my experience to gain the knowledge I already have as a prosecutor. 
What are your greatest strengths? 
- My family, compassion for others, my desire to ensure justice, courtroom experience, my knowledge of the law and life experiences outside the law.




What are your greatest weaknesses?
-You might be better off asking my wife the answer to this question.  Otherwise, it’s Skittles and Girl Scout cookies.       
Do you feel you can be impartial?
-As a Criminal Prosecutor, and an advocate for the People of the State of California, my job is to Seek Justice, discover the truth and ensure I act in the best interest of our State by being impartial and fair every day.  A Prosecutor is held to the highest of ethical standards; so much so, a prosecutor could be disbarred for knowingly prosecuting a person he knew didn’t commit the crime charged.  This is very different from a private attorney whose job it is to advocate only for their client and get for them the best resolution they can without consideration for impartiality or fairness.  
Why have you chosen to be a candidate for civil/criminal superior court judge? 
-Over 75% of the cases heard in Calaveras Courts are criminal.  It is essential for Calaveras County to have Judges in both departments who understand all aspects of criminal law.  This is because Criminal Cases are heard in BOTH departments. Calaveras has too many Criminal cases for only one department to handle all the Criminal Cases.  No other candidate for Department 2 has my experience as a Criminal Prosecutor, nor have they dedicated their professional careers to Public Safety, Victim’s Rights and to seeking Justice like I have. 
What do you perceive as the greatest obstacles to justice within our County?
-Funding for all aspects of Law Enforcement.  
How would you address the perceived rise in juvenile crime? 
-Regardless whether the case is heard in Adult or Juvenile Court it is essential to ensure the law is followed and victim’s rights are respected. 
Do you support specialty courts? (Please explain your answer and define which specialty courts you would like to see continue or implemented in Calaveras County.)
-Yes; where and as authorized by the legislature, specialty courts (such as a Veteran’s Court or a Mental Health Court) can be a useful tool in order to further justice by utilizing compassion and all available resources.  However, each type of specialty court must be thoroughly researched and examined in order to ensure its use would be appropriate for Calaveras County.  
What is your general judicial philosophy?
-A Judge must follow the law, be fair, be open to hearing both sides of a dispute by making sure every voice is heard and ensure all who come before the Court are treated with dignity and respect.  They must be dedicated to the public safety, do their best to ensure victims, and the families of victims, are made whole to the fullest extent of the law and ensure justice for all.  Judges do this by being honest, fair and always conducting themselves with integrity by demonstrating respect for all parties to a dispute.   
Would you favor or oppose a system in which all sentencing decisions were routinely reported in local newspapers, indexed by the name of the judge? 
-I would not oppose a system where the rulings or determinations of any of our community leaders, including Judges, were reported in local newspapers; accountability of our elected officials is important.  Whether or not to publish this public information is already an option available for the media.  However, in the context of reporting judicial decisions regarding sentencing it becomes extremely difficult to properly place each individual case in context when you weigh all of the different considerations for a particular sentencing decision.  While often similar, virtually no cases are identical. 
Have you ever been disciplined by the State Bar association?
            -No.
What are your outside interests?
-My family, raising my two children with my wife, coaching youth football, cub scouts and all the other activities my children participate in.
At this point I will allow any additional information the candidate would like to disseminate to the public within the parameters of the judicial canon, limited to 200 words.



My name is Tim Healy and I’m running for Superior Court Judge Department 2.  Married to my best friend Rachel, we are raising our children here in Calaveras.   An avid sportsman, I’m active in Cub Scouts, youth football and Friends of Calaveras County Fair.  I have a real and vested interest in the future of Calaveras.

While a Criminal Prosecutor for 13 years, I have worked with Civil Law (employment, personal injury, real estate and family law) as a law school intern and in my current assignment as the lead prosecutor for the San Joaquin County Child Abduction Unit.  I’m required to work extensively with Family and International Law.  I have also had the honor to teach law students as an adjunct law professor at Humphreys College.  No other candidate for Department 2 has these experiences! 

If elected I promise to use my experience and love for our county to do my best in every case.  I will pursue public safety, ensure justice and see every voice gets a chance to be heard while being fair, honest and keeping an open mind to both sides.  I am asking for your vote June 3rd.  It’s your choice Calaveras!  

Sincerely,

Tim Healy