Thursday, April 10, 2014

John Trifilo - Calaveras County Superior Court Judge Dept 2 candidate interview



For which department is your candidacy?

I am running for Department #2, which at the current time, deals primarily with civil issues.


How long have you resided in Calaveras County?

My wife and I purchased a home here in the late 1990’s and made that home our primary residence in approximately 2002.


What are your qualifications? 

I have been in private practice since 1974. I have been primarily involved in civil litigation including family law, personal injury, and civil litigation. In the initial stages of my career, I also handled misdemeanor and felony defense litigation and criminal appeals. I have helped over a thousand family law clients alone, and handled hundreds of other cases in other areas of the law. Family law requires significant litigation in the courtroom, and I have been in courtrooms throughout the state helping my clients. I know the law as it pertains to those cases that I have handled and I am very familiar with what needs to be done to properly adjudicate cases. Forty years of appearing before the courts has given me the qualifications necessary to be a good judge. 


What are your greatest strengths?

I know the law well as it pertains to civil and family law issues. I also have some background in criminal litigation. I believe that I know what a good judge needs to do, and how to do it. I also believe that I am extremely patient and fair.





What are your greatest weaknesses?

A few years ago, I gave up coffee, and now I drink too much hot chocolate.


Do you feel you can be impartial?

Absolutely! One of the things that a good practicing attorney has to do is look at their own case from a neutral position so that they understand what their opponent is going to focus on. Although you advocate for your client, you are always aware of both sides. As a judge, I feel that it would be very easy for me to use the skills that I have developed to understand the truth regardless of who is standing in front of me.





Why have you chosen to be a candidate for civil/criminal superior court judge?

Department 2 is primarily civil at this time. However, both of our two judges will be involved in many different areas of the law. I believe that my experience over the last forty years has put me into a unique position where I can bring my knowledge and experience to the bench, especially in regards to those issues before the court dealing with civil litigation and family law. 


What do you perceive as the greatest obstacles to justice within our County?

I believe that with a small county such as ours, and with a two judge system, it is extremely important for each of the judges to be experienced and knowledgeable in many areas of the law, so that when they are asked to make a decision, they can make one based upon their years of experience. The more experience and the more knowledge that a person has, the better decision that person can make. The budgetary problems of the state make it difficult for our judicial system to function at its absolute optimum. It is always better in a court system to have the funds and resources available to provide programs and procedures to better serve the public. The budgetary constraints are applicable to all counties, but certainly seem to effect the smaller counties more. The voting population, therefore, must be keenly aware of the judges that they pick so that they obtain the best possible service from the bench. 


How would you address the perceived rise in juvenile crime?

It is, of course, the court’s responsibility to deal with those parties that come before the court in a proper and fair manner. The courts themselves are there to provide justice to all concerned, under the law as it currently exists. It is not the court’s responsibility to make political decisions to create measures and policies to reduce crime, or the perception of crime. It is the judge’s responsibility, instead, to deal with those that have been charged with crime.


Do you support specialty courts? (Please explain your answer and define which specialty courts you would like to see continue or implemented in Calaveras County.)

The phrase “specialty courts” can mean a lot of different things for both criminal and civil law. If one judge is appointed to a domestic violence calendar, that can be considered a specialty court. If one judge is assigned nothing but family law for several years, then that can be considered a specialty court. If, in the criminal system, one judge is assigned to a special calendar whereby drug offenders can avoid certain sentences by participating in a review process by the court, then that particular calendar of the court may be considered a specialty court. It is a judge’s responsibility to follow the law and to administer to any specialty court that has been put into existence by the voters. To the extent that any specialty court is already in existence because the state voters have voted it into existence, then the judge must follow the existing state law, whether he favors the program or not.

It is my philosophical belief that specialty courts, for the most part, can offer a judge a better opportunity to understand the cases that they have by giving the judge more time to deal with those cases. I do not believe it can ever be a bad thing for a judge to gather more information and more facts before making decisions. I also do not believe that it can be a bad thing for a judge to be able to focus their attention in certain specific areas. The more that we can study, the more information we can obtain, and the more facts that we can ascertain about any particular case, the better we are prepared to make an appropriate decision. To the extent that specialty courts can be developed and allow judges the opportunity to obtain the information that I mentioned above, then I would consider that as a positive thing to do. Unfortunately, we have a county that has a smaller population than many, such as Los Angeles, Santa Clara, or others, and as a result, we, as a county, often do not have enough funding to allow for some of these programs to be developed. The judges that are elected certainly have to live within the budgetary confines that we are given, but philosophically, we can always hope for more. 


What is your general judicial philosophy?

Listen carefully, stay objective regardless of initial appearances, use all the experience and knowledge that you have gained, make your decision in a fashion that is fair, and do so in a speedy manner. 


Would you favor or oppose a system in which all sentencing decisions were routinely reported in local newspapers, indexed by the name of the judge?

This appears to be a decision that would be left up to the various media. As long as the sentencing decisions were not restricted or held confidential, then it would be up to the media outlets to determine what they wanted to do in their reporting and how to do it. It is the judge’s responsibility to look at each case separately and to make a decision based upon all of the facts and the law in that case only. No decision on a particular case should ever be made in the context of determining how it may appear on some judges score card that may be developed by the media. That would be a totally inappropriate way to make a decision as to a sentence for any particular individual. From the media’s perspective, however, the media may feel that it is important for the general public to understand the sentencing that is being given out by any particular judge on any particular case. As long as the records have not been sealed, or the sentencing held confidential for some legal purpose, the freedom of speech gives the media the right to do so, and the freedom of speech is also an extremely important right that the people have. 


Have you ever been disciplined by the State Bar association?

In my forty years of practice, I have never been disciplined by the State Bar association.


What are your outside interests?

I enjoy hanging out with my children, playing with my grandchildren, traveling to the beach with my wife and family, hiking in the mountains, enjoying the big trees, and playing golf. 


At this point I will allow any additional information the candidate would like to disseminate to the public within the parameters of the judicial canon, limited to 200 words.

I have been in private practice for nearly forty years focusing on civil, personal injury, and primarily family law matters. My main office is currently in Murphys, where my wife and I reside.



I have argued in hundreds of contested hearings, and represented clients in numerous trials dealing with life-changing events such as custody, support and property issues. These trials have taken place in Santa Clara, Tuolumne, and Calaveras Counties.



The court has requested me to represent children in some of the more highly-contentious cases. I have also been asked by various judges to serve as a temporary judge for purposes of mediating many issues in family law.



Having argued before dozens of different judges with varying styles, I have been able to observe their procedures and behaviors, giving me a significant understanding on how to best resolve issues that come before the court, and to do so with strength and compassion. I believe all the above gives me insight and experience on how to be a good judge for Calaveras County.



I graduated with a Juris Doctor degree from the University of San Francisco in 1974, and passed the bar the same year.