Friday, November 1, 2013

To Dine or not to Dine....

This weeks restaurant... Mi Pueblo in Sonora.

Sometimes the hidden places are simply the best finds.

On a little jaunt to explore the Halloween Fantasy faire, hubby and I changed our minds (meaning I did) and we headed to the last outdoor produce market of the season in old town Sonora...only to find it closing up.

Well luckily for me I happen to know of a great yarn shop just a street away. Of course I announced this with excitment, but my excitement was met with a less than enthusiastic 'ok.' I'm usually pretty good in yarn shops, I like to look and touch, but know better than to buy unless I have a project in mind or I end up with a towering pile of yarn with no colors matching and not enough to complete anything...hence the mass amounts of scarves I create....I digress once again.

A little disclaimer - If you have not read a to dine or not to dine before, you may need to adjust to my wanderings.





So after two strikes and one base hit with the yarn store we wander about downtown Sonora with no plan in mind, just a nice stroll on a nice day, when we notice a set of stairs heading down toward the little creek that runs through town. Hmmm, where do these go?

At the top of the stairs we see a menu posted. Its Mexican, hubby likes that, and the menu has MANY items with a chili icon next to it, meaning HOT. More points for this restaurant in hubby's mind. Down the stairs we go.

Dine in or out? Well out of course, right along the creek. Lovely.

Seeing as how we imbibbed a bit too much the evening before Menudo was on my husbands mind...it is his favorite Mexican dish as well as he swears it cures a hangover....I will never know. I oredered something safe and recognizable, a chicken chimichanga.

The chips and salsa were fresh and the flour tortilla chips were freshly made. Yum!

Lunch came and the servings were HUGE.

There was very little conversation as we ate...the food was that good. My chimichanga was so full of meat it was easily a meal for two, but I did my best to finish a large portion of it. The beans were perfection and the rice, which I rarely eat, was delicious. When I finally came up for air I asked how the Menudo was. Being a Menudo aficionado - for a gringo- my husband said it was the best he had ever had. That is saying a lot as he eats it where ever he can. I will have to trust his judgement as I still refuse to even try it. I am no Andrew Zimmern here.

The setting was pleasant and simple. The wait staff was efficient and friendly and the time of service was spot on. The food was delicious and well worth every penny. We got out money's worth here and will return as there are many items on the extensive menu that I would like to try.

The also offer a full bar and a children's menu.

Mi Pueblo is located at 126 S. Washington Street, Sonora. Open 7 days a week (menudo only on Saturdays and Sundays...hmmm...there may be something to this hangover medicine idea that I missed). 532-3640

by,
Charity Maness

 (My little disclaimer:  'To dine or not to dine' is meant to be a helpful - and humorous - informational piece only. I receive no monetary compensation for this column nor do I endorse any one eatery. This is simply my opinion. My tastes will be different from others and I readily admit that I have no culinary background, but I am fairly confident I know when food is cooked correctly or not, whether a drink is poured well or not and especially whether wait staff is first-rate or in need of a career change.)