Friday, August 16, 2013

To Dine or Not to Dine....

This weeks restaurant is Angelo's Steakhouse in Murphys.

Headed up to an evening of guaranteed enjoyment at Murphys Creek Theater under the stars, we allotted ourselves some time to peruse Murphys for a bite to eat. We didn't peruse far as our stomachs were growling, so we stopped at the first restaurant we saw...lucky us...an Italian steakhouse! What with my love for anything Italian and my partner in crimes love of steak we hit the jackpot!

The outside dining looked perfect for a nice romantic evening, but alas, each seat was taken...dining inside it was. The tables were a bit tight and the chairs were really uncomfortable but the wine was divine! Oh what one will not endure for an amazing glass of grape juice:)


First choices were the veal marsala and the spaghetti with two 1/2 pound meatballs, but once we were told of the the surf and turf special, the waitress need say no more. As we happily munched on fresh bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic (which we had to ask for three times) we discussed the upcoming play and the ambiance of the restaurant. Pub chairs sat at the bar for presumably bar dining, while tables set for two, four and six, lacked any decoration other than salt and pepper shakers and dining implements. Half of the restaurant was painted with soothing and welcoming hues as well as artwork with Italian flair. The other half was clearly older with much of the original wood and ceilings left intact adding romance to the tapestries hanging on the walls.

Dinner was served and the turf was four shrimp grilled on skewers with some summer squash. My partner in crime for the evening was seriously disappointed, yet by the end of the evening there was not a shrimp left. The petite filet was wrapped in pancetta and grilled to perfection. I probably could have cut it with my fork but manners made me use my knife. The only down side was it was covered in a brown sauce that much resembled a strogonoff sauce. I would have perferred my steak as a steak should be...sauceless, especially a filet. But my plate was cleaned by the end of the meal.

The serving size was perfect, not too much, not too little. The pricing was a bit high seeing as how the turf was shrimp, not prawns, but shrimp. The setting was nice, the bus boy helpful and cheerful, the waitress definitely designing her trips to the table to allow for a slow meal.

I might try this one again, but I think I will steer clear of the special and go with something on their main menu, tried and true Italian meals.

For more information on Angelo's Steakhouse visit http://angelossteakhouseitaliano.com/#

by,
Charity Maness

(My little disclaimer:  'To dine or not to dine' is meant to be a helpful - and humorous - informational piece only. I receive no monetary compensation for this column nor do I endorse any one eatery. This is simply my opinion. My tastes will be different from others and I readily admit that I have no culinary background, but I am fairly confident I know when food is cooked correctly or not, whether a drink is poured well or not and especially whether wait staff is first-rate or in need of a career change.)