Thursday, January 26, 2012

What are the rules? By, John Howsden

I started using the telephone when it had a rotary dial, a cord and two stainless steel bolts securing it to the wall. The only person with a mobile phone back then was Dick Tracy. Now cell phones are as common as heart burn. But something that isn’t as common is phone etiquette. What are the rules of the road when it comes to cell phones?

I know phones are indispensible. Back in the day rich, powerful people had phones brought to their dining table so they could take a call. There was a rumor that every president since the atomic age has had a red phone. The red phone being the ultimate; you didn’t dial it, you just picked it up and yelled, “FIRE.”

Although phone technology has caught up with the characters in the comic books, phone etiquette is still back with eight track tapes. I was keeping up with technology until the fax machine. Everything after that has left me confused and alone.

I like cell phones and I like most of the people I know. But when you combine the two, things change. Before cell phones, we used to sit within shouting distance, look each other in the eye and carry on a conversation. Now when I talk to someone, I keep expecting their phone to ring and break up the conversation like a referee throwing the yellow flag in the middle of a football game.

Awhile back, I was talking to a friend when his phone rang. He jumped out of his seat, answered the phone and walked away like I was yesterday’s paper. I hadn’t felt so snubbed since prom night. Last night we went to dinner with some friends. When the food arrived, the wife whipped out her cell phone, photographed the main entrĂ©e and sent it off to who knows who. I don’t know if she’s was tormenting some girlfriend on a diet or if this was some high tech way of saying grace.

Cell phones are an asset. I carry one myself. That way I don’t need a wristwatch. But, when I am talking to someone, I never whip out my cell phone to check the time in the middle of a conversation.

Even though we are falling into the abyss of phone rudeness, I think there is hope. Recently I heard of a new rule that applies while dining. Upon sitting down at the table, everyone puts their phones in a pile in the center of the table. If your phone rings and you answer it, you have to pay for dinner: a draconian rule for sure, yet effective.

It is a start. Should you have any ideas for phone etiquette, drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment